Registration is closed. Please sign up for notifications of new class dates.
The course is designed to help you start and grow your own web development/design business (part time or full time).
Learn how to get started, how to find clients, how to charge, how much you can earn and much more. This is a live, interactive course with an inside view of what it's really like.
No web design or development experience is required.
Session 1: Wednesday, May 14th, 8pm to 10pm EST
Session 2: Wednesday, May 21st, 8pm to 9:00pm EST
The first session is two hours with lots of time for questions and discussion. (We'll go longer if requested.) The second session is a one hour follow-up session, which gives you a chance to come back and ask questions after you've had a chance to think about everything covered.
There will also be an opportunity for interested students to form a online group after the class to support one-another as they build and grow their business.
The cost for the class is $39.00. Register.
10 Reasons to start a web development business
- There is an enormous demand for Drupal and not nearly enough people to meet the demand.
- The pay is excellent. You can earn a great income part-time or full-time.
- Even beginners can earn good money.
- Business opportunities are everywhere -- just think of all the ugly websites out there.
- There's very little start up cost.
- Working for yourself means job security.
- You can work from home or anywhere and set your own hours.
- It can be highly meaningful work as you can work with causes and businesses you believe in and have a real impact.
- It’s interesting work.
- The skills you develop can be used in other ways, such as starting your own web-based business, joining a start-up, or finding a high salaried job as a developer or project manager.
Who is this course for?
- Those looking to start a part time or full time business building web sites.
- Those already building sites or in a related field and wanting to grow their business.
Why was this course developed?
As the owner of a web business myself and Drupal trainer, I have found many students express a great interest in the ins and outs of building a business-- particularly, how to find clients and how to charge. I've been able to build a successful business, having developed over 100 sites, so to respond to this interest and share what I've learned over the years, I developed this class.
How does the class work?
- There are two sessions.
- The class is live and online via video, screencast.
- The first class is a two hour presentation with lots of time for question and discussion.
- The second class is a follow up class that gives you an additional opportunity to ask questions and discuss after you've had a week to think about and process the information.
- Is this business right for you?
- How the business works.
- The good, the bad and the ugly.
- How much you can earn and how to charge.
- Common mistakes and best practices.
- Working on your own versus working for someone else.
- What skills you need to learn and how to learn them.
- Secrets for gaining experience and showing it off quickly and effectively.
- Finding clients for your first sites.
- Types of clients generate the most new work.
- Bread and butter clients.
- Building template-based sites v. custom designs.
- Possible pitfalls and challenges.
- Building your own business site.
- Managing the workload.
- Finding Help (subcontracting v. hiring).
- How to find work.
- Networking strategies
- Increase referrals.
- Additional ways to find work.
- And much more.
Your instructor will be Sam Cohen, who has built a very successful freelance practice. See the right sidebar for more about Sam.
How much can I earn building Drupal Websites?
This will be covered in depth during the class. But in brief, in the US Drupal site builders can charge anywhere from $20 an hour (for beginners) to well over $100 an hour. However, a lot of the work is not done hourly, so you can potentially earn a more. The simplest Drupal sites typically start at $1,000.00 and go up to the tens of thousands of dollars from there. Experienced site builders can earn over $100,000 a year. Experience as a site builder can also lead to many other opportunities, such as starting your own web-based business, joining a start-up, or finding a high paying job with another web shop.
How is the course delivered?
The live class consists of live audio, video, screencast, and chat. For audio you can either use your computer's speakers and microphone, or call in to a US phone number.