The September class is full. The next course will begin in March, 2013. Sign up for notifications to receive an email when a date is announced.
You can purchase the video only course, over 30 hours of videos in all, by clicking here. If you choose to take the live course after you purchase the videos, you can apply what you paid for the videos to the cost of the course.
Learn to build complex professional Drupal 7 sites, with highly complex functionality -- including e-commerce . No programming skills required.
Who is this course for?
How does the course work?
- We take you step by step in this intensive course from installing Drupal to building complex, professional, interactive sites..
- Build your own site or improve on an existing one - as part of the course.
- Take part in six online, interactive classes.
- Receive weekly assignments and supplementary videos.
- View the class videos if you miss a section or if you want to review the information again. Over 24 hours of video in all.
- Jamie Claeys, Graphic Design, University of Colorado Boulder
Andrew Sather, Assistant Director of Technology Services, Jenkins Law Library
Anyone serious about mastering Drupal. In particular:
- Those who want to build a Drupal site for their business or organization.
- Start-ups that want to build a web application, prototype or their own website.
- Drupal site managers who want to take full advantage of all Drupal can do.
- Professional web designers or related professionals who want to learn to use Drupal to power their sites.
- Those who want to start a new career as a Drupal consultant.
- Once a week, there will be a two-hour live online class where you will learn Drupal and be able to ask questions. This is followed by an optional one-hour learning lab, where you can view demonstrations and ask additional questions.
- You will receive a hosting account and learn to install Drupal as part of the course.
- Every week you can apply what you have learned to your own site. (Your site can be for your business, organization, hobby or anything you choose.)
- Every week you will receive supporting materials and an assignment to help you learn. There will also be additional videos showing you how to complete the assignment.
Your instructor will be Sam Cohen, the owner of New Media Solutions. See the right sidebar for more about Sam.
- The fee for the live course is $350.00 ($315 for nonprofits.)
The fee for the six-week course (video only) is $150.00
- The video include six three hour class videos and six one-hour+ assignments videos and materials.
- If you choose to take the live class at a later date you can apply the cost of the videos to the live class registration fee.
Participants will learn:
- How to build a complex, professional sites from the ground up.
- Installing Drupal, moving sites between servers, upgrading core and modules.
- Essential modules and how to use them.
- Working with themes.
- Building forms and complex content types (include references between content types).
- Building complex Views, including contextual filters.
- Ecommerce, selling products, taking donations, selling files.
- Evaluating modules and themes.
- Working with multimedia
- Social media integration.
- Introduction to custom theming and custom module development.
- Best practices for building professional sites with Drupal.
- How to put together a site that achieves results.
- Common mistakes and how to avoid them.
- Good site architecture, strategy and SEO
- and much more.
Every class will be supplemented by assignments, suggested tutorials and readings.
Week 1: The Big Picture
- Course overview.
- Drupal vocabulary and concepts.
- Common mistakes and best practices.
- Installing and hosting a site.
- Choosing a theme.
- Core functionality.
Week 2: Core, Forms, Content Types and Fields
Content Types are the heart of a site and allow you to build everything to complex user profiles to sophisticated databases.
- Drupal core continued, permissions, blocks, menus, regions, etc
- Good site architecture
- How to build and use complex content types.
- How to build online forms and surveys.
Week 3: Amazing Views
Mastering Views can allow you to build highly sophisticated sites that include slideshow, searchable directories/databases and more.
- How Views allows you to build sophisticated interactive websites.
- How to build advanced Views.
- Related modules.
Week 4: Extending Drupal: Modules
- Understanding Modules
- The essential modules and how to use them.
- Modules you need to know about.
- How to evaluate modules.
- Site Recipes.
Week 5: E-commerce
- How to building stores, take donations, sell and manage memberships, sell digital files, and more.
Week 6: Customizing Drupal
- An overview of making Drupal look and behave exactly the way you want it to.
- Custom themes and modifying themes.
- Custom modules, glue code and snippets.
- Strategies for working with developers or becoming one yourself.
- Additional subjects to be determined based on the interest of students.
How is this course different from most Drupal Training?
The main difference between this course and other types of Drupal training is that we take you step by step, over a six week period, from installing Drupal to building complex sites. By completing weekly assignments and working on your own site, we accomplish much more than can be done with a one or two day training.
You are also part of a learning community, so you can share your progress and ask questions to other participants.
In addition, we actually assemble of complex site over the length of the course, something that couldn't easily be done in most Drupal training.
Another difference is that as web strategists, in addition to covering the "how" we also cover the "why."
I already have quite a lot of Drupal experience. Is this course right for me?
It depends on how much experience. We cover in six weeks what it can take a year or more to learn on your own. We've had a number of people with a lot of Drupal experience take the course.
I don't have any Drupal experience. Is this course right for me?
You do not need any Drupal experience to take the course.
I have advanced programming experience. Is this course still right for me?
Even for programmers, the Drupal learning curve is very steep. We are not covering programming, but building professional and effective websites. We have numerous people with Masters Degrees in Computer Science take the course and give excellent reviews.
I can't make every date. How can I make up the information if I miss a class?
A video is made of every class, so if you miss one you can catch up by watching it. You can also watch the video as a way of reviewing the information.
Can I keep the videos?
Yes you can.
What are the advantages of the live class over the video only option?
One of the biggest advantages of the live class is accountability. You are far more likely to attend, participate and make progress by participating in the live weekly class. It's all too easy to procrastinate watching videos and doing assignments when you are on your own.
Another advantage is that there is a different type of energy and feeling participating in a live class verses watching a video. This makes it far more enjoyable.
With the live class you can also interact with the instructor, asking questions and having your questions answered as part of the class or the assignments.
Do I have to be a programmer to take this course?
Will the class be teaching Drupal 6 or Drupal 7?
We will be teaching Drupal 7.
The site I work on is Drupal 6, can I still benefit from the class?
Absolutely. While some things have changed in Drupal 7, almost everything you learn can be applied to a Drupal 6 site and we will cover the changes.
How is the course delivered?
The live weekly class consists of live audio, video, screencast, and chat and will be delivered by Webex. Click on this link to check that your system will work. For audio you can either use your computers speakers and microphone or call in to a US phone number.
What are the assignments?
In additional to the three hours of a live class each week (the final hour is optional) there are also optional assignments given out each week. These consist of a list of tasks to perform on your Drupal test site. These tasks cover items like adding content types, creating forms, building views, using modules, etc. They are designed to help you become familiar with Drupal's many features. Each assignment comes with a video (typically one hour) where you can watch and listen to the tasks as they are completed.