Registration is closed. Please sign up for notifications of new class dates and the availability of the course video.
Become an expert in managing and improving your Drupal site.
The next live, online, five-week course begins on Wednesday, May 28th, 2014. The course will take place on six Wednesdays, from 2pm to 4:30pm Eastern Standard Time.
If you can't make any sessions, you can watch the recording.
Register Soon. Space is limited
Who is this course for?
How does the course work?
- This is a course for those who have a Drupal site for their business and want to learn how to expertly manage, maintain, build upon, keep secure and improve upon it.
- There will be five live online classes, where you can see clear demonstrations and ask questions.
- View the class videos if you miss a section or if you want to review the information again.
- Jamie Claeys, Graphic Design, University of Colorado Boulder
Andrew Sather, Assistant Director of Technology Services, Jenkins Law Library
- Drupal site owners/managers/administrators who want to take full advantage of all Drupal can do.
- Businesses, Schools, Nonprofits and other organizations who want to maintain their sites in-house and not have to rely on outside developers.
- Those who want to master, maintain and improve their site.
- Those who want to learn how to improve their site, such as using new modules, integrating social media, search engine optimization and much more.
- Once a week, there will be an hour and a half live online class where you will learn Drupal and be able to ask questions. This is followed by an optional one-hour learning lab, where you can view demonstrations and ask additional questions.
- Every week you can apply what you have learned to your own site.
- Every week you will receive supporting materials and an assignment to help you learn. There will also be additional videos showing you how to complete the assignment.
Your instructor will be Sam Cohen, the owner of New Media Solutions. See the right sidebar for more about Sam.
- The fee for the live course is $290.00 ($250 for nonprofits.)
Participants will learn:
- How to do core and security upgrades
- How to Backup and restore your site
- Learn best practices
- Learn all the power and possibilities of your site
- Advanced administration of content, blocks, and more
- Strategies for improving your site
- Adding new displays and content types
- Social media integration
- Overview of adding commerce
- Most effective modules you need to know about and how to use them
- Installing and evaluating new modules
- Building Views
- Making changes to the design of your site
- and much more
Every class will be supplemented by assignments and supplementary videos.
Week 1: The Big Picture
- Understanding Drupal
- Best practices and common mistakes
- All you need to know about users, blocks, menus and core features
Week 2: Managing Content
- Editing content, content types, text formats, rich text, video, files, etc.
- Building Views
Week 3: Modules
- Essential Modules and what they do
- Evaluating modules
Week 4: Improving Your Site
- Suggestions for improving your site, including social media integration, popular modules, Search Engine Optimization, Commerce, choosing a new them and more
- Tweaking your design with CSS
Week 5: Site Maintenance
- How to upgrade core and modules
- How to ensure your data is safe
- What you need to know about about migrating to the next version of Drupal
- Understanding and improving site performance
- Working with and evaluating developers.
How is this course different from the Mastering Drupal Six-week course?
The six-week course is for those who want to learn to build Drupal sites from scratch, while the five week course is for those who already have a Drupal site and want to learn to maintain and improve upon it.
I don't have any Drupal experience. Is this course right for me?
You do not need any Drupal experience to take the course.
I have advanced programming experience. Is this course still right for me?
Even for programmers, the Drupal learning curve is very steep. We are not covering programming, but building professional and effective websites. We have numerous people with Masters Degrees in Computer Science take the course and give excellent reviews.
I can't make every date. How can I make up the information if I miss a class?
A video is made of every class, so if you miss one you can catch up by watching it. You can also watch the video as a way of reviewing the information.
Can I keep the videos?
Yes you can.
Do I have to be a programmer to take this course?
Will the class be teaching Drupal 6 or Drupal 7?
We will be teaching Drupal 7.
The site I work on is Drupal 6, can I still benefit from the class?
Absolutely. While some things have changed in Drupal 7, almost everything you learn can be applied to a Drupal 6 site and we will cover the changes.
How is the course delivered?
The live weekly class consists of live audio, video, screencast, and chat. For audio you can either use your computers speakers and microphone or call in to a US phone number.